What is wellness? Wellness is the degree to which an individual experiences health and vitality in any dimension of life. Through our group fitness classes, personal training services, education opportunities, and state-of-the-art equipment we are dedicated to helping you on your path to wellness.
Group Fitness Classes
Northwest Iowa Community College is pleased to offer classes at the Lifelong Learning and Recreation Center. We can help you stay on track with your wellness and fitness goals by providing certified instructors and a fun group fitness environment! Our Group Fitness Classes include classes for strength training, cardio, and much more. Group fitness participants must be a minimum of 13 years old to participate. Sign up for these classes by contacting the LLRC at (712) 324-2493 or stopping by the LLRC Welcome Desk to register.
Meet our Instructors:
- Janice Wielenga: Jancie is a resident of Sheldon and has been part of the community for the past 24 years. She has worked at Sheldon Hospital in the Rehab Department and the Wellness Center since 2004 and gained extensive knowledge and experience from this work. Janice is a Certified Personal Trainer and has been teaching classes for the last few years. Through continued education, Janice has been certified in multiple areas including: Total Body, Boot camp, Pilates, High Intensity Interval Training, Kid Fitness, and many others.
- Kathleen Osterman: Kathleen is a registered nurse who has spent much of her life involved in fitness in one way or another. It started with 23 years spent in the military and having to pass annual fitness tests. She continued her dedication to fitness in civilian life. In the past, she has run multiple miles a day, was an avid racket ball player, and participated in a biking club. Kathleen now is a regular morning walker and has recently added yoga to her regime. She is now a Registered Yoga Teacher and finds that it is a great way of increasing flexibility, maintaining muscle endurance and strength, and improves balance.
- Jan Snyder: Jan has been practicing yoga for several years and teaching yoga at area wellness facilities since 2006. She has her Level 1 & Level II certifications through YogaFit® and has completed 200 hours of instruction with Janine Gustafson at Yoga Okoboji. She is a Registered Yoga Teacher (RYT) through the Yoga Alliance. Jan teaches beginner and intermediate classes that focus on the three important limbs of Hatha Yoga: breathe (pranayama), posture (asana), and presence. In Jan’s classes she provides students with a combination of strength, stretch, balance, cardio, and relaxation. Jan’s mantra is “Yoga can be for anyone or any body!”.
- Amber Groendyke: Amber was highly active in sports during high school and throughout college. Participating in sports and being active have always been a high priority in her life, and she is excited to share that outlook with others. She has a B.A. in Exercise Science, a minor in Health, and is Licensed as both an Athletic Trainer and a Physical Therapist Assistant. Her hobbies include running, lifting weights, playing tennis and racquetball, sports, watching movies and spending time with her husband. She has been teaching fitness classes for the last seven years and also works with middle school and high school kids through the local athletic enhancement program. She loves working with people and challenging them in their fitness level and is always looking for new and different ways to challenge her clients and participants.
- Josh Nollmeyer: Josh grew up with a passion for sports, and this introduced him to a passion for exercise. He played basketball, baseball, and football through high school, with these sports got involved with resistance training. After his high school, career he attended Dordt College where he continued his sports career playing Football as well as receiving a degree in Exercise Science – he graduated from Dordt in December 2012. During his time with Dordt Athletics he had 4 years of constant weight-lifting, aerobic, and plyometric training. He worked with multiple sports teams at Dordt College in their lifting programs. Josh also spent a summer working with the University of South Alabama's track program and football program during their summer weight training programs. Josh is a member of the National Strength and Conditioning Association and has a great knowledge of resistance training.
- Alex Price: Alex is a personal trainer and group fitness instructor at the LLRC. She is a graduate of Northwestern College with an Exercise Science degree and a specialization in Strength and Conditioning. Alex is a certified ACSM Health Fitness Specialist. She played softball at Northwestern and has been involved in athletics and physical fitness all her life. When she’s not participating in sports or training, she loves to go out on the lake and fish for largemouth bass.
- Angel Bengard: Angel is a certified Aqua Zumba®, Zumba ® and Zumba® Toning Instructor. She has been teaching for over 1 year in Le Mars and Orange City. By day Angel is a Senior Coatings Chemist at Diamond Vogel in Orange City. Angel’s fitness journey began over 3 years ago when she decided to change her life and started weight training with a personal trainer and taking Zumba® classes in her hometown of Minneapolis. She was able to lose 75 pounds by changing her life style. Angel fell in love with taking Zumba® classes and decided to become an instructor. Angel is excited to share how Zumba fitness is for every body and fitness level. Zumba® has been described as “exercise in disguise”, you will have so much fun you wouldn’t even know that you are working out. Angel will be attending the Zumba® instructors convention in August and will be certified in Zumbini ® (0-3 years old) Zumba® Kids Jr. (4-6) Zumba® Kids (7-12) and Zumba® Gold for the active older adult or the person who is new to fitness. Angel looks forward to “shaking it” with you in the pool and on land.
(712) 324-2493 or (800) 352-4907
Email: Click HERE