Visit Us on Facebook
Follow Us on Twitter
Apply Today
More Information

Student Loans

Online Student Loan Process

Deciding to borrow money for college is a responsibility that needs to be taken seriously. Participation in a loan program is optional, but if you choose to borrow, it is recommended that you borrow only the amount you need. How much you borrow should be the last piece of the puzzle. The amount you borrow needs to be influenced by how much you will be receiving from financial aid sources, how much you will be contributing from your own resources (both student and/or parent), and the amount that you will realistically be able to repay once you are out of college.

You must begin repaying your student loans 6 months after you graduate or drop below half-time. Your payments will include all accrued interest and deducted fees. Remember, the more you borrow the more you pay back. While the repayment of your student loan may be in the distant future, it is important for you to assess your potential ability to repay the loan. Consider your career choice and make sure it will support your monthly loan payment in addition to your living expenses.

For more information on financial aid planning you can go to I Have a Plan – Iowa to find more tools such as building a financial aid plan, budget calculators, and a scholarship database.

For questions regarding your rights and responsibilities, loan terms and conditions, or any other specific information:
Loan Application Process
In order to complete the student loan application process you must have:
  1. Completed a  Free Application for Federal Student Aid(FAFSA).
  2. Received an Award Letter from NCC indicating your loan eligibility.
If you have met these two conditions and you want to apply for a student loan, please complete ALL three steps listed below.
  1. Loan Authorization Form (LAF)—2013–2014 (For loans starting August 2013)
    On this form you need to indicate the amount of the loan you want to borrow. Refer to your NCC award letter which states the amounts for which you are eligible. Remember to borrow only what you need.
  2. Direct Loan Entrance CounselingYou will need to "Sign In" with the Federal Student Aid PIN used to sign your FAFSA.
  3. Master Promissory Note (MPN) - Beginning July 1, 2010 ALL students requesting a loan must complete a NEW MPN. You will need to "Sign In" with the Federal Student Aid PIN used to sign your FAFSA.
Additional Information
  • Before a student can receive their first loan disbursement the U.S. Department of Education requires all student borrowers to conduct entrance counseling. The purpose of the counseling session is to provide the borrower with important information regarding their rights and responsibilities. Once you have successfully completed the session, your results will be sent to the Northwest Iowa Community College Financial Aid Office. Please print a copy of the results for your own records.
  • The average federal student loan debt of those who borrow at NCC is approximately $5,100 per academic year.
  • Northwest Iowa Community College considers half-time enrollment to be 6 credits in the fall, spring, and summer term. If your enrollment status drops below half-time, your future loan disbursements may be cancelled, you will no longer qualify for an in-school deferment of your loan payments, and you will either enter into repayment or start your grace period. During a grace period you are not required to make payments but the unsubsidized interest will continue to accrue.
  • It is important for you to understand that interest accrues on Unsubsidized (and PLUS) loans and is capitalized during periods when the interest is not paid by you, the borrower. If you allow the interest to be capitalized, you will be charged interest on top of interest when the loans enter repayment. You do have the option to pay the interest while in school and it is in your best interest to choose this option.
  • If you need to withdraw from your classes it is important that you see your Advisor to complete a "Withdrawal Form." You will also need to call or stop by the Financial Aid Office.
  • If you drop below half-time, withdraw, or graduate, you are required to complete an Online Exit Counseling Session.
  • Detailed federal loan information is available on the National Student Loan Data System (NSLDS). This website will outline the federal loans you received when attending NCC and also the loans received if you have attended other institutions. You will need your PIN to access the website. If you have lost or forgotten your PIN, you can "Request a Duplicate PIN".
  • When a student or parent requests a Direct Loan or PLUS Loan, the loan information will be submitted to the National Student Loan Data System (NSLDS) and will be accessible by guaranty agencies, lenders, and schools determined to be authorized users of the data system.

Parent PLUS Loan Application Process
The Direct PLUS Loan Program is designed for the parents of dependent students enrolled at least half-time. This loan is available to a parent to supplement their child’s financial aid package up to the schools cost of attendance.
The parent who wants to borrow a PLUS loan must complete the following two steps:

  1. PLUS Loan Authorization Form—2013–2014 (For loans starting August 2013)
    On this form the parent will indicate the amount of loan they want to borrow and which terms the loan proceeds are for.
  2. PLUS Application & Master Promissory Note – The parent borrower will need to “Sign In” with the Federal Student Aid PIN used to sign the student’s FAFSA.To view/print instructions prior to completing your application or promissory note click here.
Help with Resolving a Problem or Dispute
It is important to keep all of your student loan papers and correspondence for your records. If you have a problem with a federal student loan, you should contact your loan holder or loan servicer to try and resolve the problem. If you are unable to resolve the problem on your own, you may contact the Federal Student Aid (FSA) Ombudsman for assistance. The FSA Ombudsman works with federal student loan borrowers to resolve loan disputes or problems from an impartial, independent viewpoint. You can reach FSA Ombudsman at:

U.S. Department of Education
FSA Ombudsman Group
830 First Street, N.E., Mail Stop 5144
Washington, D.C. 20202-5144
Toll-free phone: (877) 557-2575